A study on patient satisfaction in out patient department of secondary care hospital of Bhopal
Keywords:Patient satisfaction, Accessibility, Experience, Outpatient department
Background: Patient satisfaction is as important as other clinical health measures and is a primary means of measuring the effectiveness of health care delivery. Patient-centered outcomes have taken central stage as the primary means of measuring the effectiveness of health care delivery. To evaluate the level of patient satisfaction with OPD services in terms of describing the experience of patients about medicine OPD services and accessibility to services among the patients who attended the medicine OPD of Jaiprakash hospital.
Methods: As a cross -sectional descriptive study, we have taken patients who were registered in Medicine outpatient department of Jaiprakash Hospital of Bhopal over a period of two months. The research instrument for a data collection was a structured questionnaire for assessing the patient satisfaction. The experience and accessibility were categorized into good and poor while satisfaction into high and low using best criteria. Statistical analysis: Convenience sampling done for selection of patients registered in Medicine OPD. The data was analysed on statistical software SPSS VS.20.
Results: The patients had the highest level of experience from medicine department OPD about helpfulness of nurses, about light and ventilation inside the OPD and about the good communication from the pharmacist. The poor experience was from the number of doctors in OPD and about the diagnostic place. As far as accessibility is concerned, 66% of patients had good accessibility towards medicine OPD while remaining 34% had poor accessibility towards Medicine OPD.
Conclusions: Maximum number of respondents had very good experience while just small number of respondents had poor experience and majority of the patients had good accessibility regarding waiting time, service process and working hours.
Merkouris A, Andreadou A, Athini E, Hatzimbalasi M, Rovithis M, Papastavrou E. Assessment of patient satisfaction in public hospitals in Cyprus: a descriptive study. Health Sci J. 2013;7(1):28.
Linda Powell, MSIPT. Patient Satisfaction Surveys For Critical Access Hospitals, Boise: Mountain state group, Inc., private 501(c) 3 corporation; 2001.
Kulkarni MV, Dasgupta S, Deoke AR, Nayse. Study of satisfaction of patients admitted in a tertiary care hospital in Nagpur. National J Community Med. 2011;2(1):37-9.
Sreenivas T, Babu NS. A study on patient satisfaction in hospitals. Int. J Mgmt Res & Bus Strat. 2012;1(1)101-18.
Kumari R, Idris MZ, Bhushan V, Khanna A, Agarwal M, Singh SK. Study on Patient Satisfaction in the Government Allopathic Health Facilities of Lucknow District, India. Indian J Community Med. 2009;34(1):35–42.
Galhotra A, Sarpal SS, Gupta S, Goel NK. A cross-sectional study on patient satisfaction toward services received at rural health center, Chandigarh, North India. Ann Trop Med Public Health. 2013;6:240-4.
Bamidele AR, Hoque ME & Van der Heever H. Patient satisfaction with the quality of care in a primary health care setting in Botswana. S Afr Fam Pract. 2011;53(2):170-5.
Arshad AS, Shamila H, Jabeen R, Fazli A. Measuring patient satisfaction: A cross sectional study to improve quality of care at a tertiary care hospital. Health line. 2012;3(1):43-6.
Mandokhail AK, Keiwkarnka B, Ramasoota P. Patient Satisfaction Towards Out Patient Department (OPD) Services Of Medicine Department In Banphaeo Community Hospital Samut Sakhon Province, Thailand. J Public Health Develop. 2007;5(3):97-105.
W Qureshi, G Naikoo, A Baba, F Jan, N Wani, G Hassan, N Khan. Patient Satisfaction At Tertiary Care Hospitals In Kashmir: A Study From The Lala Ded Hospital Kashmir India. Int J Health. 2008;8(2):1-3.