DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2394-6040.ijcmph20195858

Complementary feeding: knowledge and perception of mothers attending paediatric outpatient department in a tertiary care hospital

Uzma A. Shaikh, Swati T. Dahake

Abstract


Background: Complementary feeding refers to food which supplements breast milk and ensures that the child continues to have enough energy protein and other nutrients to grow normally. Complementary feeding is started at 6 months of age, while continuing breast feeding. After 6 months of age breast milk alone is not enough to make an infant grow well.

Methods: Cross sectional study conducted among 70 mothers coming to paediatric outpatient department. Data was collected regarding their knowledge and practices of complementary feeding. Mean, frequency table and chi-square test were used.

Results: 77.1% women have sufficient knowledge about complementary feeding. 77.1% of mothers give complementary food after 6 months remaining i.e. 22.9% are unaware of age of starting it. All mothers are aware of the complementary food which is to be given to babies. 82.8% mothers properly know how to start with complementary feeds. 98.5% of mothers continue to breast feed their baby’s above 6 month.

Conclusions: The study concluded that inadequate complementary feeding knowledge and practices were present among some study subjects.


Keywords


Complementary feeding, Knowledge, Perception

Full Text:

PDF

References


WHO and UNICEF. Global strategy for infant and young child feeding. World Health Organization, Geneva. 2003. Available at www.who.int/nutrition/ publications/infantfeeding/9241562218/en/. Accessed on 3 June 2019.

Harnagle R, Chawla PS. A study of knowledge, attitude and practices of lactating mothers on breast feeding, weaning immunization and dietary practices at Jabalpur cantonment, India. Int J Microbiol App Sci. 2013;2(11):393-403.

National Family Health Survey (NFHS-4). Factsheets 2015-2016, India. International Institute for Population Sciences. 2017. Available at http://www.nfhsindia.org. Accessed 9 September 2019.

Venugopal S, Arulparithi CS. A study on knowledge of breast feeding and complementary feeding practices among mothers in a rural area, Tamil Nadu, India. Int J Contemp Pediatr. 2018;5(5):1790-3.

Rao S, Swathi P, Unnikrishnan B, Hegde A. Study of complementary feeding practices among mothers of children aged between six months to two years. Austral Med J. 2011;4(5):252-7.

Berra WG. Knowledge, Perception and Practice of Mothers/Caretakers and Family’s regarding Child Nutrition (under 5 years of age) in Nekemte Town, Ethiopia. Sci Tech Arts Res J. 2013;2(4):78-86.

Owais A, Suchdev PS, Schwartz B, et al. Maternal knowledge and attitudes towards complementary feeding in relation to timing of its initiation in rural Bangladesh. BMC Nutr. 2019;5(7):1-8.

Molla M, Ejigu T, Nega G. Complementary feeding practice and associated factors among mothers having children 6-23 months of age, Hindwai, Advances in Public Health. 2017;2017:4567829.

Abyu GY, Belay K, Tsegaye M. Assessment of Hygienic Practice on Complementary Food among Mothers with 6–24 Months Age Living YoungChildren in Mohoni Town, North Eastern Ethiopia, 2015. J Immunol. 2016;6(1):1-5.

Mihretie Y. Maternal Knowledge on Complementary Feeding Practice and Nutritional Status of Children 6-23 Month in Jigjiga Town. Glob J Nutri Food Sci. 2018;1(1):1-12.