DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2394-6040.ijcmph20185239

Prevalence of overweight and obesity among rural adolescent school students in Kanchipuram district, Tamil Nadu

Raja Danasekaran, Karnaboopathy Ranganathan

Abstract


Background: Obesity in children and adolescents acts as an independent risk factor in the occurrence of cardiovascular and other non-communicable diseases in their adulthood.

Methods: A cross sectional school based study was done among 934 students aged 14-17 years studying Class 9 to Class 12 in selected four schools of Kanchipuram district in Tamil Nadu, India.

Results: Mean BMI of the study population was 17.78 (SD-3.14). 39 (8.51%) were identified as overweight and 21 as obese (4.58%) among boys. Mean BMI among girls was 18.58 and 44 (9.24%) were identified as overweight and 20 (4.20%) as obese. Among the study population 83 (8.89%) were overweight, 41 (4.4%) were obese and overall the prevalence of overweight and obesity was found to be 13.28%.

Conclusions: Obesity among adolescents is increasing and requires urgent attention. Standardized BMI charts for adolescents to be prepared as per Indian standards.

 


Keywords


Adolescent, Obesity, Body mass index, School, Prevention

Full Text:

PDF

References


Bibiloni Mdel M, Pons A, Tur JA. Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity in Adolescents: A Systematic Review. ISRN Obes. 2013;2013:392747.

World Health Organisation. Factsheet: Obesity and overweight. Available at: http://www.who.int/ en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/obesity-and-overweight Accessed on 20 June 2108.

Raj M, Kumar RK. Obesity in children & adolescents. Indian J Med Res. 2010;132:598–607.

Preetam MB, Anil PJ, Zile S, Johnson C, Murugan N, Sandeep A, et al. Study of childhood obesity among school children aged 6 to 12 years in Union Territory of Puducherry. Indian J Community Med. 2011;36:45–50.

Bhave S, Bavdekar A, Otiv M. IAP National Task Force for Childhood, Prevention of Adult Diseases: Childhood Obesity. Indian Pediatr. 2004;41:559–75.

Subramanyam V, Jayashree R, Rafi M. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in affluent adolescent girls in Chennai in 1981 and 1998. Indian Pediatr. 2003;40:332–6.

Khan MI, Lala MK, Patil R, Mathur HN, Chauhan NT. A study of the risk factors and the prevalence of hypertension in the adolescent school boys of Ahmedabad city. J Clin Diagnos Res. 2010;4:3348-54.

Khadilkar VV, Khadilkar AV. Prevalence of Obesity in Affluent School Boys in Pune. Indian Pediatr. 2004;41:857–8.

Raj M, Sundaram KR, Paul M, Deepa AS, Kumar RK. Obesity in Indian children: Time trends and relationship with hypertension. Natl Med J India. 2007;20:288–93.

Laxmaiah A, Nagalla B, Vijayaraghavan K, Nair M. Factors Affecting Prevalence of Overweight among 12- to 17-year-old Urban Adolescents in Hyderabad, India. Obesity. 2007;15:1384–90.

Chhatwal J, Verma M, Riar SK. Obesity among pre-adolescent and adolescents of a developing country (India) Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2004;13:231–5.

Panjikkaran ST, Kumari K. Augmenting BMI and Waist-Height Ratio for establishing more efficient obesity percentiles among school children. Indian J Community Med. 2009;34:135–9.